Frequently Asked Questions

Control burns of personal agricultural waste, domicile waste, and landscape waste, are allowed if these materials are generated on the premises, but only when atmospheric conditions will readily dissipate contaminants and when such burning does not create a visibility hazard on roadways.

Contact our office at 618-997-4802 and request an application, stop by Station #6 located at 3232 S. Park Avenue, Herrin, Illinois and pick up an application, or download the application online. Once the application is returned it will be evaluated. An interview with the Battalion Chief and station officers will be arranged. If the candidate is recommended, they will then be brought in issued gear and start running calls.